Research, Book an Adventure
Coming Soon - | P.E.I. || Nova Scotia || Newfoundland || Quebec |
Canada cross country skiing is, both, a recreational activity and a means of transportation during the winter season for many communities who enjoy snowfall during the winter season. Canada xc skiing provides a great opportunity for sightseeing during the winter season. The self guided skier, the tour groups and the nordic alpine centres all enjoy winter scenery which otherwise would not be accessible during the season.
Cross country ski trails & XC skiing in Canada
In Canada cross country skiing is enjoyed exploring snow covered backcountry gravel roads, spur roads, community pathways and backcountry trails. After the snow falls and the temperatures drop the rivers and lakes in Canada freeze over and many become cross country ski routes as well. Some of the best XC skiing trails are located at the Nordic Alpine Centres throughout Canada.
XC skiing at Canadian Ski Resorts
Canadian ski resorts also cater to the xc skier. The lower slopes on some mountains at some ski resorts are designated for xc skiers. These resorts and ski mountains maintain xc ski trails and provide equipment, lessons and accommodations, restaurants and entertainment in many cases.
Backcountry xc skiing in Canada
The remote xc ski adventure is best served by staying with a backcountry wilderness resort, lodge or retreat which caters to xc skiing. The trails are remote and the scenery is everywhere. Most resorts provide tours, guides, lessons, accommodations and meals.
In prime cross country ski areas there are communities with cross country ski shops providing ski rentals, clothing and equipment. The nordic lodges and ski hills are also a good source for equipment rentals, ski information and lessons. Then there are the local accommodations in each community who generally are very well versed on the winter adventures in their region.
Some Canada Cross Country Skiing Tips
- always cross country ski within your abilities.
- confirm that lessons and rentals are available if need be.
- research your xc ski destination (ski hill, nordic centre or backcountry lodge) as per your preferences.
- bring sunglasses and ski goggles as the snow reflects light making it very bright on the eyes.
- xc ski in groups, so there is some conversation.
- try to ski with someone who knows what they are doing for tips on xc skiing.
- do not ski under the influence of alcohol.
- dress slightly warmer than if you were heading out for a winter run. Do not over dress.
- bring dry clothes for a change of clothes at the end of the day.
- carry a lightweight backpack packed with water, snacks, tissues, a camera and cell phone.
- pack electronics in plastic bag for protection from snow and wet conditions.
- pack lip balm for chap lips.
- lock your vehicle when out skiing.
XC Skiing in Canada / Cross Country Skiing in Canada