Vancouver Island Boating and Sailing
Vancouver Island, BC Adventure and Attraction Guide
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver Island boating opportunities come in all shapes and sizes around Vancouver Island. There are river routes, easy-access and remote wilderness lakes and ocean passages. Many provide boaters and sailors with islands, marine parks, marinas, sandstone cliffs, waterfalls, sandy beaches, islets, coves, wildlife and more. In total there are over 6000 islands up and down the coast of British Columbia.
Vancouver Island Boating and Sailing Tips
- Be aware of other boats in high traffic ocean marine routes including recreational boats, commercial fishing vessels, barges, sailboats, cruise ships, tug boats, Coast Guard ships, BC Ferries and sightseeing wildlife tour boats.
- Tours, guides and multi-day cruises depart from some of the Vancouver Island communities.
- Larger marinas may provide services like showers, power hook-ups, gas, internet access, supply shops, boat repair, pubs, fish stations, freezer storage and restaurants.
- The best months for boating are between April and October. The summer months of July and August being the most popular. They are also the months most hardest to secure moorage at a marina.
- When boating around Vancouver Island beware that the waters are heavily populated with sharp reefs, hidden shoals and other marine traffic. All boaters should travel with tidal and navigation charts, updated weather conditions, gps, compass, depth sounder, VHF radio and safety equipment.
Featured Vancouver Island Boating and Sailing Adventures
Some of the more popular mulit-day Vancouver Island boating and sailing sightseeing destinations include Desolation Sound, Princess Louise Inlet, Broughton Archipelago, Broken Islands Group and Kingcome Inlet.
Explore Boating and Sailing on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
To plan and research your next Vancouver Island boating or sailing adventure please visit any of our communities on this website. In each Vancouver Island community is an "Attraction" category which lists participating boat and sail rental companies, yacht charters and marinas. Under the "Parks, Trails and Places" category their are information pages about various lakes, rivers and ocean boating and sailing destinations in the region.